Monday, May 22, 2006

in monochrome...


Have you ever wondered how the thoughts in our minds get manifested? I'm not talking about the electric sparks inbetween nerves, I'm talking about the images that we see in our minds when we think.

I recently had this inclination to think everything is in 1800s England. Maybe it's because of the book I had recently finished: Pride and Prejudice. Because of that, I seem to think that all the other books that I had read after that took place at least in 1800s.

I read QandA by Vikas Swarup. It happened in the present, but I keep thinking it happened in the 1800s. Maybe it was the fact that the main character lived in a very squalid, slum like area. But they mentioned stuff like televisions, Levi jeans and even a Ferrari. Furthermore, the main character was involved in a game show scam, who would think it was the 1800s when there was a gameshow?

Anyways, back to thinking. Other than thinking that my brain thinks it's in the 1800s, my thoughts seem to be mostly in monochrome. I've always like the way that monochrome pictures look. They have a sense of serenity that is quite hard to find. For me anyways. I'm not saying that I'm a very serene person or that my thoughts calm me. I have my fair share of anger fantasies. I'm just saying that I may be colour blind in my mind.

Perhaps that's why I find it hard to remember dreams sometime. It's in black and white. nothing really stands out. I wonder how other people think, the great minds of our time probably didn't think within thier own era. If Huxley thought within his era, would he be able to write as compelling and "real" a novel as The Brave New World? Maybe some of you think in technicolour. That's so seventies. Groovey. But currenlty, I'm happy to be stuck in my monochrome 1800 England.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home