Monday, May 15, 2006

the day after...

This entry will be written in proper grammer, spelling and punctionation. Just because I can.

If you are wondering what day today follows, I will tell you. Today follows Mother's Day. I must say that my family do not subscribe to the commerial holidays created by many. We really do not subscribe to any commerial holidays. However, for commerial holidays like Mother's Day, we do at least go for a family meal.

Therefore, I will be writing abit about mothers and about my mother. My mother for one talks too much. But the wierd thing is that the rest of the family is too nice to not listen. My mother likes to contridict herself. Her opinions change as and when she feels it fits that day's needs. This is how most mothers work, they try to be constructive. But to teenagers, it always sounds just like a criticisim.

Anyways what I wanted to write about today was what my mother used to say to me when I was much younger, when I was in primary school. I used to like to wear sandals with jeans. Even though it is quite common to see such a thing in school now, it wasn't really considered a very hip thing to do. Whenever I wore that or if I wore berms while my brothers wore jeans, my mother will tell me to change. The reason being, she didn't want other people to think that she marginalised one of her children. Yes, my mother and her logic.

The other thing that my mother likes to say is to "go press the lift". There is a convience store at the void deck of my flat. While my mother buys stuff or browse, she would get us to go get the lift. But she will say "press the lift". While we understand what she means, I will explain. What my mother wants us to do is to go press the button of the lift to get it to come to the void deck.

Well, I just watched Tom Cruise act taller than life in Mission Impossible 3. It was lame, I guessed who the bad guy was so easily. But it was good, to see stuff get blown up. Haaha. It kinda reminded me of my mother's phrases to get us to do stuff, like "press the lift", which nobody else really understands.

2 Comments:

Blogger Derrick said...

You should consider being a columnist. It was damn funny! "Go press the lift". I'll remember that. I'm not sure if my grammar and my spelling is correct. I'd usually leave that to the copydesk editors to correct them when I write articles for the paper. Haha...
Can't wait to meet up with you soon!
By the way? Isn't it summer all year round in Singapore? Or have I missed out something again? Don't act like you're in some seasonal country when you're not lar! It's summer time here!

Monday, May 22, 2006 3:36:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Press the lift" is part of my family's vocab too...haha....prob came from the literal chinese translation "an dian ti" which come to think of it, doesn't make sense too =)

Monday, May 29, 2006 5:38:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home