Sunday, August 06, 2006

one last time...

Have you thought of what people will say when you pass on? Who would deliver the eulogy at your funeral service? What will people remember you for? And maybe not so importantly, how many will turn up to see you for the very last time? Most of us would say we are young, and these thoughts have probably never crossed our minds.

So for the young, there’s this question. At Saturday’s BS, Tat Chuen asked what we thought people said about us when we’re not with them. (Not with them as in NOT with them, not dead.) Most of us couldn’t really come up with anything really good. But as teenagers and young adults, I’m sure such thoughts about acceptance and belonging passes through your minds every other day.

My uncle just passed on. Went to his wake yesterday night. Saw my auntie cry. Saw my other uncle weep. It was probably the only time I’ve ever seen my extended family sad. Ever since I was a little kid, every time I’ve seen my uncles and aunties at family functions, it’s all about the laughter they bring. My uncles and aunties are actually funny. The jokes they crack may be weird and lame, but understanding the joke was secondary, the important part was to just laugh. It was kind of “cold”, but at least everyone got a real good laugh from them.

My uncle’s name was David. David was a great man in the Bible. Maybe my uncle didn’t slay a giant who killed many others. Maybe my uncle didn’t rule a kingdom. But my uncle was a fighter. How many people could say they’ve recovered from stroke and gotten back to work? And still laugh about it as if strokes happen to everyone, everyday. He was a big man. He was big in every way. He laughed the loudest. He ate a lot, a lot more than other people anyways. Held the biggest family functions. Even his wake under his block was big. His point block’s void deck couldn't take the number of visitors. People overflowed. The only person who cried was my aunt. Everyone else there brought laughter to remember the man that brought the laughter.

This will sound morbid, but how would your wake be like?

Uncle David, 48 years.
-5th August 2006


P.S.: If you are on medication for hypertension… Please remember to take your medication.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh alvin,I sorry to heard this...cheer up and take it easy,ok?

Sunday, August 06, 2006 11:12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home