Tuesday, March 24, 2015

the day Singapore turned monochrome...

I had thought about writing for a long time. So many have written and so much has been written about him. What more can I write about? Then the urge to write couldn’t go away. I had to write – something, anything. The title kept echoing in my mind ‘The Day Singapore turned Monochrome’. It took a while but eventually, there would be an event that would shake me up enough to necessitate penning down some of my thoughts. As in all Asian typicality, it took a death to shake things up. Even the demise of my marriage did not rattle me sufficiently. Yet at that time, I was probably more inclined to hide rather than think.

This death is different. Though it is not of something or someone I knew personally, yet I knew many details of his life. His many decisions have deeply impacted my life and the lives of my fellow countrymen. Some know him as Harry, though no one calls him that. Many call him Ah Gong, though it is most ironic whenever the term of affection is used. Everyone knows him by his initials – LKY.

His death was not unanticipated. The country had been waiting, preparing to a certain extend. Many were logistically ready, though I guess judging by the current situation, not many were mentally ready. When it happened, it was the day that Singapore turned monochrome. Many company logos, display pics among others things online turned black and white. I noticed today that most turned up at work in a drab of dark colours. I guess everyone mourns in their own different way; all in their little way a sign of respect for a man who was so much larger than life.

The first world life that LKY has fought so hard to build has suddenly lost so much of its lustre. Yet, the first world cogs that turn this country’s delicate machinery will soon start to run at full speed again. Exactly how LKY had intended it to. In the grand scheme of things, nothing can ever alter the primary purpose of our nation.

His life had impacted the world and his death has impacted the world in a similar fashion. People from all over the world have come out to say something. People from far far away, where their connection to the man is just but a mere fibre have come out to thank him for his life work.

I am glad that our little red dot has been blessed with a leader with enough foresight to see how a backwater port could evolve into an economic behemoth.  Though at the same time, I am greatly sadden that we have lost a national icon. Not least we lost him before #SG50. They keep saying that #SG50 would be an important watershed year. It marks so many things to so many people. Never would anyone thing that it would also mean it would be the first National Day that LKY would not be there. He was there at our very first NDP. He was there at all 49 previous NDPs. It would be different without his appearance. While I think he would frown upon it, I hope they have a short segment just for him.


We need to learn to honour our pioneers. People who have literally fought through so much, just to ensure we never lose even a figurative advantage. After 50 years, we have just started to honour our roots. We must continue. If there are no roots to hold on to, there is nothing to build upon in the future.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home