Tuesday, May 19, 2009

social responsibility...

I was left wondering about the social responsibility of Singaporeans when I read about this case of molest reported in the papers last week. It was reported that this lady who was molested on the MRT, tried to get passengers around her to help detain her molester. But no one came forward to help. Mind you, it wasn't an unearthly hour where no one was around. It was peak hour.

I was left wondering if I would have went up to help her.

Yesterday night, on the way home from Primers' Council, there was a slight incident on the bus. There was this Chinese lady and this "older" Caucasian man. They were obviously arguing. While no fist-fight ensued, the man smelt like one beer too many, you never would have predicted what would happened. The weirdest thing was, the bus was relatively packed, when the man raised his voice, the rest of the bus raised their volume to drown him out. Half of me was mildly amused. It was like they were trying to cover up the ongoing argument.

Back to the point, if ever the man had hit the lady, would I have stood up to stop it? I must admit that I have witnessed many a case of people infringing on other people's rights. I could have stopped them, but it seems my own convenience overwrote the social responsibility that should have been upheld.

I wonder if I would have gone up to help her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home