Tuesday, August 21, 2007

881...

If you don't know what 881 stands for, then you are not alone. But I am assuming that many of you do know what it is. It is Royston Tan's new movie. Indeed, local movies are not well supported by the local community.

The show that I was in was populated by grannies and people generally over 35. There were less than a handful of youths in there. I guess the fact that the movie was in mandarin and dialect didn't help. But I must say that if you have time. Go watch it. It is an extremely heartwrenching show. I totally tugs at your heartstrings. Especially the ending.

The climax was cheesy. The only "not good" (don't want to say bad...) part of the show I feel. The showdown between the good guys (papaya sisters) and bad guys (durian sisters, May and Choy) was of the ultimate cheesy-ness. Lasers blasting out of bras that look like durians are never of good taste.

I thought that the actors were all really good though. Qi Yi Wu (715) was convincing as a mentally ill guy that plays with a chicken daily and never talks. The musical like feel of the movie really made it into a getai. It was a getai shown in the movies. Makes you wonder why we don't go absorb more of our culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home