Sunday, October 26, 2008

i rather be silly...

Did you read the papers today? I did and I was totally shocked with what I read.

There was an article in the Lifestyle section of the papers today and it was about how Singaporeans are coping with the recession. So one of the people they interviewed was this 20 year old undergraduate. The family is well off and I guess that is no fault of hers. However, the way that she is portrayed by the papers made her seem like a spendthrift with no clue of the value of money. A basic $500 monthly allowance and she can still ask her parents to pay for other things on top of that.

But that is not what I find disturbing. What was disturbing was the statement she made regarding the actions of a friend. A friend who has only $20 left to spend for the month went to find a part time job to supplement her income. Her reply was that the friend was silly and should have just asked her parents for money.

I think someone needs to understand that not everyone is as well off as she is. And if it were silly to earn your keep, I rather be silly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home