Wednesday, August 13, 2008

missing the point...

I was on the bus today and i overheard the guys behind me commenting on the local sports scene while watching the Olympics on TVmobile.

The conversation behind me went from the swimming that was showing to Tao Li to Singapore's national water polo team. One guy asked why we didn't send out water polo team to the Olympics, they have won the gold medal at SEA Games for the past twenty odd years. I think it was ever since water polo became a SEA Games event, for the past 23 times. Anyway, this other guy replied that the team is only strong compared to the other countries in ASEAN. Another point raised was why Tao Li can be so successful yet it the water polo team is non-existent beyond ASEAN.

However, I think they missed one major difference between Tao Li and the water polo team. Tao Li's profession will read "professional sportswoman - swimmer" while the water polo team, as far as I know, have day jobs.